Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Mini Test : Pig Iron

This time I have tinkered with the Kolony Rebels from Pig Iron. The first thing that appealed to me was the "greatcoat" look of the figures. To date, these are the best non-GW option for a 40K greatcoat army. As you can see in the pictures below, the detail is great.


In order to give these an acceptable level of 40K'ness, I have snipped off the front 1/4 inch of the gun and replaced it with the barrel portion of a IG lasgun. On the left I have used a Catachan barrel and the right sports the Cadian barrel. I can think of no better IG icon than the trusty lasgun, it really makes the figures seem easier to accept.


Also I have swapped out the heads with the Pig Iron Kolony Winter heads. These guys are primed and ready to get in the painting line (good lord, that line is getting long).

All in all, I give these a thumbs up. At some point in the distant future I will be making a full army from these, as they have officers, assault weapons, and heavy weapons figures that match up rather nicely with IG loadouts. But that will all have to wait for now.

If you have any comments or questions about these minis, please feel free to let me know.

The war goes on,
Hessler

1 comment:

Itkovian said...

As you may know, I love these guys, they are very good models. I didn't bother converting the guns - replacing the barrel is fine, but then the magazine looks a bit out of place, to me, not being a power pack and all.

By the way, I think the catachan one looks far better than the cadian.

Also, I intend to pick up a load of winter headgear sets so that I can use the small cap heads for my veterans, so I may be able to trade you some of the woolly hats in the future...